How to start an Afterschool Secret Millionaires Club
First Thing's First
- Ask your principal for permission to begin a local branch of the club. Students of any age are eligible and must be supervised by an adult. You may:
- choose to create more than one club, each with a specific age-range
- opt to have older club members mentor younger kids in the same club
- modify the proposed activities in the downloadable activity guides, geared toward grades 3–6, to meet the individual needs of your club
- Decide upon a maximum club size and determine how many adult facilitators you'll need (e.g., 10 students=1 facilitator, 20 students=2, etc.).
- Follow your school's afterschool guidelines to plan and schedule club meetings and transportation.
- When finding a facilitator or facilitators for the club, consider teachers, parents, and volunteers.
Promote the Club
- Fill out the customizable Afterschool Secret Millionaires Club Announcement Form to email to the parents of potential participants and post at your school.
- Ask to advertise the club in your school newsletter or on your school website.
- Get kids excited about the club by announcing the “Grow Your Own Business Challenge”!
- Ask your PTA or PTO to spread the word about the club with the Announcement Form and help with logistics.
Let the Meetings Begin!
- Have kids watch one or two webisodes during each club meeting.
- Check out “This Week's Afterschool Activities” to find general and webisode-specific club activity suggestions.
- Plan to watch the SMC TV specials on The Hub TV channel as a group, or record the specials and have club members watch them during meetings.
- Have club members enter the “Grow Your Own Business Challenge” for the chance to win fabulous prizes and meet Warren Buffett!
Don't Miss Out! Sign up with us and receive updated SMC materials.